MARIS STELLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS)
Re-accredited thrice by NAAC at ‘A’ grade
Re-accredited thrice by NAAC at ‘A’ grade
A College with Potential for Excellence
Department of Physics
The department of Physics was established in the year 1962. The Department of Physics defines its mission in the context of academic excellence, and scientific integrity. As Physics is a bridge between technology and society, the department’s primary responsibility is to bring an understanding of physics and prepare undergraduate students for career in physics and assume leadership roles in an increasingly scientific and technological world. The Department of Physics makes student learning its central focus and promotes faculty learning in its various forms like pursuing M.Phil and Ph.D, undertaking research projects, participating and presenting papers in International and National seminars, undergoing various enrichment programmes like counselling, soft skills, technological training, personality development, women empowerment etc. The department adopts technology enhanced teaching and learning and help students to develop better insight, and conceptual models of physical phenomena.
Enhance passion for learning physics with the incorporation of technology-Enabled Active Teaching and Learning approach and providing knowledge needed for success in graduation, or begin their career or to enter post-graduation.
- To nurture the talents of students
- To sharpen up presentation skills and communication skills through assignments and oral paper presentations
- To develop problems-solving skills.
- To develop competence in physics laboratory and have a working knowledge of basic experiments and the ability to work independently.
- To organize a regular series of activities on a wide range of physics topics involving students and arranging guest lectures on subject related as well as on latest trends in physics.
- To impart students research oriented skills through mini research projects during final year of their graduation
- To promote team spirit and organizational skills in executing planned activities of the department on a wide range of physics topics
- To motivate students to learn additional skill based courses.
- To encourage students to become aware of latest leading job opportunities.
- To sensitize students to become aware of environmental, ethical and contemporary issues.
Outcome of the learning
Students graduating with Physics as one of the major will be
- gaining a working knowledge of fundamental concepts in the basic areas of physics
- able to understand how to perform modern literary searches to locate and retrieve scientific information
- able to think creatively about scientific problems and their solutions
- able to collaborate with peers to solve physics problems or laboratory experiments
- able to apply knowledge from one or more areas of Physics to make appropriate intellectual connections or solve problems in another area of Physics
- able to read, present and discuss information found in current research or scientific journals through assignments
- familiar with important historical experiments and their revelations about the understanding of the universe
- able to pursue career objectives in under- graduation or in a professional life.
A student, thus graduating from Maris Stella College with Physics as one of the major in under graduation will have been exposed to a wide range of principles in different branches of physics and get ready for post-graduation study or take up immediate job.
About the Department
1.B.sc programme with combinations of Maths, Physics and Chemistry
2. B.sc programme with combinations of Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
Certificate Course offered
“Solid State Lighting” in collaboration with Efftronics Pvt.Ltd.
UGC sponsored Minor research Projects undertaken:
- Fabrication of Antimony Oxide based glass systems for non-linear optical devices during 2005 – 2007 by Dr. G.Little Flower.
- “Non-destructive characterization of Ag nano fluids with variation of nano particle concentration and temperature for visco-elastic properties” by Dr.G.Little Flower and is in progress.
MOU/tie up with industries /vocational centre's
Ø MoU with Efftronics Systems Pvt., Ltd in conducting a certificate course on “Solid state lighting”
Ø MoU with Prathap Industries Ltd
Ø MoU with SSIT, Patamatta for MEAN Stack diploma course
Physics Instrumentation Centre
It is equipped with the following instruments that are helpful for research:
1. Sound level meter
2. Ultrasonic Interferometer for solids
3. Ultrasonic Interferometer for liquids
4. L.C.R Meter
6. Optic fibre kit
7. Laser kit apparatus
8. Malus law apparatus
9. Research polarization microscope
10. Stefan’s constant apparatus
11. Radar trainer
12. Planck’s constant apparatus
13. Electron spin resonance spectrometer
14. Frank-Hertz experiment
15. Hall effect experiment
16. Solar cell characteristic-Trainer
17. Wind energy trainer
18. Universal gate trainer
19. Nano Ultrasonic interferometer
20. Laser Diode transmitter and receiver kit